Wednesday, March 19, 2014

On Being Single

This post could have been a valentines day type of post, but I feel like I should really say how I feel about this. I have been single since December, and I really feel like there are some blessings and curses about being a single lady. But the thing is, is that I personally don't mind being single anymore, and its kind of been the hot lava I've tried to avoid until  December when I made the decision to be single.
I  vowed to myself to not really blog about boy issues, thus me not going into detail about other reasons why/who I have dated in the past, but I think I should broach the issues as to why being single has been stigmatized.
We live in a society where being in relationships is a huge deal. We not only hear about elaborate wedding ceremonies of celebrities but also things like "look how cute so and so is..." or  "awwww they are such a cute couple". Ever since we are little children we feel pressured to fit this standard and meet prospective suitors, to the point where your parents see you with a boy/girl and think that you are dating, just because you are with the gender of your preference. I personally want to get married and have children in the future but there are so many people who look down on those who don't want to get married and have children in the future. Marriage is not for everyone,  romantic relationships are not for everyone and relations involving any sort of commitment are not for everyone.
Side note: Even premarital sex is still stigmatized in some areas, but gay marriage was not allowed for a really long time. On the complete opposite note, pre-marital sex has been almost glorified on television and has pressured teens to do so. We live in a very black and white society, even though a lot of our issues as humans are grey or whatever color besides black and white you choose.
Back to my point...There are a lot of these standards in society, where they expect us to fit this one size garment (the metaphorical garment AKA marriage or any other social norm) and some of us just cannot fit.
so, to all of those who push others to be in relationships: Please stop. If you are a real friend/family member etc, you would be supportive. Arranged marriages don't happen here in America.
Another thing: people really look down at single people. I know a lot of people who will deny that, but its society's dirty little secret. they spoon feed us these messages of having boyfriends and such at a very young age. Television shows with female protagonists having boyfriends and boyfriend issues, as well as teen quizzes in magazines making assumptions that boys like them. Its self esteem shattering, not only causes that, but also girls who are lesbians or bisexuals feel very confused and left out and very isolated.
So yeah, when you say forever alone, please remember that there are people who actually like being alone forever.
<3 Jennie



No comments:

Post a Comment

What is on your mind?