Wednesday, December 11, 2013

My Reaction to the JOFA Conference: Family Affair

So, I went to the JOFA conference this past weekend. (If you do not know what JOFA is, I suggest you check my Asexuality Post) What I really noticed about the whole shebang was that there were a lot of mothers and daughters, and a lot of parents with their children in general present. It is not that I did not like the absence of my parents but I felt a little bit different than everyone else. Everyone else grew up with feminism in their houses, being taught these principals since they learned how to open their eyes. For me, I grew up as a conservative Jew and was taught that I should never be orthodox because of their inequality. I went to Conservative Day Schools, pluralistic summer camp, and conservative youth group. See, the reason why I have wanted to be apart of the Orthodox Feminist community was because I did not want to sit in my conservative corner and watch all of this go down. I wanted to make a difference and fight for the things I love. I do not want to be a second class citizen. I need orthodox feminism because I want to do the things I love and let it coexist with what I believe in. Believe it or not, I feel more comfortable in a liberal Orthodox setting. I am not saying that I am an Orthodox Jew, but I am saying is that is how I want to raise my children. I want to take my children to JOFA conferences and discuss informative topics about injustice and marginalization. I want my children to have what I didn't and I will live vicariously through them, without any shred of guilt.
<3 Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is on your mind?