Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Why I Wear Tzizit

When I fist decided to wear tzizit, I thought "I dont understand why I cant wear them, I have always wanted to wear them". I have never actually thought that wearing tzizit would change me as much it has done so far. When I first starting wearing tzizit,  I have come to realize that I was a feminist but I never really could put in coherent words that I was one. I always knew that I was very pro egalitarian Judaism.
My boyfriend at the time, also wore tzizit and it was always very intriguing to me.  I asked him more about it and how to wear them etc. and he told me how to do so. so, I stole my brothers tzizit from his drawers (that he was not using) and I wore them during my youth group convention, trying to get a feel for them. At first they felt exceedingly awkward, getting in the way of things. Now, as i get older and this is my whopping second year wearing them, I have realized that this is something that makes me, me.  At first, I had to hide them from my parents because I was afraid of what they would think of me, and then they ended up finding out and they bought me my  first pair of tzizit.
My own view of women wearing tzizit, or any Jewish prayer garments for that matter, is simple; at least to me. It only specifies in the Torah what to do, excluding gender. Thus, I took it as a pathway that I thought I should take. I never thought that i would be an inspiration or that "cool girl wearing tzizit". I just personally believe that women should be able to take on the same mitzvot men can. I have gotten made fun of, and gotten a lot of strange stares and honestly that does not phase me. I just try and represent my Jewish community the way i feel is right and i do what is right for me. One common miss conception is that people think it is a fashion statement or its a way to show off one's feminism. My response is: Yes, and no. I wear them because i personally feel like i can be closer to G-D for wearing them. Everyone has their own journey, mine just includes wearing these fringes to  remind me of His/Her existence. I don't like showing off and i do not see me wearing tzizt as a way for me showing off.
So if you want to start wearing tzizit...Talk to someone about it, preferably your parents and your friends. If you feel so strongly and don't have any supporting people around you, talk to someone in the community. Feel free to comment with any questions that you have! Also, do lots of research. research is very helpful because then you can learn how to perform this mitzvah accurately.
moral of the story: Tzizit is not for everyone. do what makes you happy and what makes you feel holy. In my opinion, holy is such a subjective thing. do what makes you feel closer to G-d. that is all He/She/it asks for. But most importantly, love yourself :)         Click here to get tzitzit designed for females
<3 Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is on your mind?